From plastic bottles to insulation
At InsulPro we take fibre made from plastic bottles, which would otherwise be waste, and manufacture the fibre from the bottles into polyester insulation that creates warmer, healthier homes and buildings.
The Mammoth thermal and acoustic insulation range is made from 100% polyester fibre. Polyester is made from a substance called PET, which is what plastic bottles are made from. PET can easily be recycled.
InsulPro supports polyester recycling in two ways; using recycled fibre from plastic bottles as part of the product range and recycling production off-cuts back into the process. Plastic packaging for the products is also recyclable.
What is polyester?
Polyester is all around us in everyday life. Clothing, pillows, duvets, hats, furniture, ropes and plastic bottles can all be made from polyester, most commonly the polymer called polyethylene terephthalate or PET for short. The polyester industry worldwide has been growing rapidly over the past decade. In 2008 alone around 50 million tonnes of polyester was produced worldwide with almost 80% being textile PET (fibres).
InsulPro products are made of a unique mix of premium quality polyester fibres.
Above: Recycled polyester fibre
One of the fibre types contained in the our insulation is hollow conjugate fibre. Because the fibre is hollow it traps air within itself, as well as around it. ‘Conjugate’ means two types of polyester are joined together to form the fibre. This creates a fibre that looks and acts like a spring and gives Mammoth ceiling blanket its thickness and bounce.
Hollow conjugate fibre technology was initially used in quality sleeping bags and extreme outdoor clothing. InsulPro led the way globally in introducing these fibres to ceiling and wall insulation in the 1990’s.
Concerned about protecting the Environment?
Our commitment to the environment is more than just greenwash – it’s how we have always done business.
InsulPro’s commitment to sustainability starts with high quality insulation products. For over a decade InsulPro has been improving product technology and installation techniques to make sure our insulation product range delivers excellent results.
There are no environmentally harmful additives in InsulPro’s manufacturing process, all products are bonded using heat and not glues.
At InsulPro we also use an energy efficient manufacturing process, to reduce our environmental impact of our electricity use on the environment. We are conscious of ensuring we play our part in protecting the environment, whereby we use less electricity and thus reduce our environmental impact. Click here to how we are creating better environments
Other Green initiatives:
- Recycling - another benefit of polyester as a material is how easily it can be recycled. Plastic bottles made from PET can be washed and ground up into flakes, heated and then extruded into polyester fibre. This is how the recycled fibre used by InsulPro is made. InsulPro has worked with recycled polyester fibre for over a decade and is committed to using the maximum possible in all products. We also recycle our off-cuts generated through the manufacturing process back through the plant and it is then used to make more insulation - ensuring a near zero waste production process.
- Red List Free - We were the first polyester insulation manufacturer in the world to have all our polyester products declared Red List Free - International Living Future Institute.
- carboNZero certified organisation - InsulPro is proudly the first insulation manufacturer in the world to be certified carboNZero.
- All our polyester products contain fibre from recycled plastic bottles - what better use for a waste product than to turn it into an insulation product that helps reduce your power bills and carbon emissions.
- We work alongside our customers who are aligned with our sustainability philosophy in creating better environments.